Vill du läsa artikeln på svenska? Klicka här
During the summer months, companies rely on seasonal workers to do work associated with the summer period. People who come from countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland and who have been offered employment as a seasonal worker in accordance with fixed-term employment agreements can obtain a work permit for seasonal work.
Different work permits
In order to be able to obtain a work permit, the employer must have its registered office and its actual business operations in Sweden. If a person is employed by a foreign employer and works for a client in Sweden, they are not covered by the regulations on work permits for seasonal work. An example of this is berry pickers who are employed by foreign companies.
A work permit for seasonal work can be granted for a maximum of six months during a twelve-month period.
Work lasting less than three months is eligible for a work permit for seasonal work. Citizens from certain countries also need a visa for their stay in Sweden.
For work lasting longer than three months, a combined residence and work permit can be issued.
Requirements for employers
In order for a work permit for seasonal employment to be granted, the employer must meet the following requirements:
- Issue an offer of employment and give the relevant trade union the opportunity to comment on the terms of employment.
- Offer employment conditions that are at least at the same level as Swedish collective agreements or what is customary in the profession or industry.
- Offer a salary that is at least at the same level as Swedish collective agreements or what is customary in the profession or industry.
- Intend to take out health insurance, life insurance, occupational injury insurance, and occupational pension insurance when employment begins.
- Offer employment that enables employees to earn a living. In order to meet this requirement, the salary must total at least SEK 13,000 a month before tax.
- Advertise the position in Sweden and within the EU/EEA and Switzerland for at least ten days.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay updated on everything in accounting, payroll and HR and gain unique insights and advice from our articles. Fill in the form below to subscribe to Azets newsletter.